Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

internal pipe support stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

eiadro1

Mechanical
May 20, 2013
AE
i have a case that i need to put internal pipe inside the vessel and pipe need to be supported on the vessel head bu structure support . client is asking to study the stresses on the roof due to this structural support . i got the reaction forces from structural engineer but i couldn't consider it as external forces because we need to study the local stresses on the attachment area .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You would analyse the local stresses on an internal attachment much the same as an external attachment. There are just acting on the other side of the shell. FEA would deal with this no problem. Manual calculations will need add the shell pressure stresses in the correct direction.

i already tried to attach clip or cleat and apply the same forces but this will not test the stresses due to welding on the head which my client is looking for - i tried alternative manual calculations in structural steel standards AISC to check the stresses on welding area between structural parts it gives a massive margin different from what i got by applying external clip .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back