Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internal rubber membrane for storage tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemical
Sep 19, 2001
AR
I am studying different alternatives to avoid the entrance of air in the tank when pumping out.

I've been noticed to use internal rubber membranes (like a balloon)inside the tank, that receives the liquid and it does not have contact with the air.

Does anyone have experience with this. I need references and the vendor´s names to contact.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you consider design of full vacuum for tank? Lots of other details need to be considered. How big is the tank? What is the fluid? Some fluids are not compatible with various elastomeric polymers. Also, permeation of either air or fluid through elastomer "ballon" could be of concern.

If full vacuum is possibility, you can pump out w/o entrance of air. Proper liquid head height needs to be there for pump NPSH for pump out, however.

Greg Hopkins

I think you are reffering to bladder tanks which are not commonly in use today. The bladder (or membrane) was attached to the tank shell and was made from some type of elastomeric coated fabric. The problem is that the coated fabric is (1) permeable, (2) prone to leakage and failure where it is attached to the tank shell and (3) incompatible with the today's chemicals.

If your concern is that the air not touch the liquid survace, how about an aluminum full-contact internal floating roof?

22854:
Why don't you want to have air inside? The chemical reacts with the air or it is a firehazard issue? Why don't you compensate the vacuum with nitrogen?

Regards

PR

Just use a conservation vent with nitrogen on you tanks. I just checked where I worked and there are 27 tanks with these type vents. The materials in these tanks are either flamable or reactive to very low concentration of O2 or CO2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back