Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internal training

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaugh

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2001
US
Has anyone out here done any internal training within their company? I posted on the SW forum earlier today and I am not getting any hits out there... hoping that someone on this forum might be doing the same thing.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Scott,

I have done it here several years ago and plan on doing it again soon.
In the past I just took notes of stuff I know that may be helpful, then start with weekly 1 hour classes for the first month.
They move to once every two weeks, for couple months, then once a month thereafter.

I have a laptop displaying SW on a screen and go over tips and tricks, then also everyone has input if anything they know or different way to do something.
After, I write them down, with screenshots, and post them.

I don't have any of the previous stuff we did because I left the company and came back. All was lost.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 13
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

...left the company and came back. All was lost.

As in, IT wiped your old hard drive, destroying the information that was all they had to show for the cumulative money they had paid you?

Yeah, makes perfect sense. ... to an MBA.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I've done it, mostly just "best practices" type of stuff. This ensures that models with configurations and suppressed features don't get destroyed by other internal groups. The skill level between "engineering" and "document control" and "research" all vary. If you lay down modeling practices early on, or at least at the start of a new project, the integrity of the design files have a much better chance at survival.

I don't have anything to offer as a guide, but I used Word with lots of screen captures.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Mike,
Yes. My old computer was wiped clean for the new hire to use.
IT does not understand engineering software, files, etc...just computers. Sometimes I think they don't understand computers also.

The "best practices" that MM mentions is also what I have done.
There are various levels of SW users. Some of the least experienced users can't work on models from advanced users.
Training helps bridge the gap.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 13
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Correct: IT management does not understand computers; only politics.
Like pillows, they bear the imprint of the last ass that sat on them.

As in, somebody got upset about some of what was available on YouTube, so IT had to lock us out of YouTube. ... where many of the best SW tutorials are hosted.

So I got the built in tutorials, plus an hour total of whirlwind OJT by an experienced user, who left me a set of ancient SW books before leaving involuntarily shortly thereafter. Then there was no 'us'.

Thank goodness the VAR let me attend a few classes.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Scott,

I am doing a similar thing to ctopher and MM, I work with a few of our floor engineers on a weekly basis or whenever I don't get kicked out of the conference room I reserved. We go over tips and tricks, basic modeling stuff. I am tying in our PDM system as well so they can understand the interaction between the two systems. Also, the input and questions they ask usually leads to another sessions topic.

Beyond that we just have fun playing with the stuff they guys are trying to model.

MechEng13 [machinegun] [elk]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back