Internal visual Inspection - Camera best options 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makun

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2009
AR
Hi folks,

My company provides me with standard digital cameras to perform inspections. I've mentioned to them that this type of camera isn't the best option for internal inspections. Just imagine trying to take a look with the camera over a handhole in a vessel. Based on your experience, is there a great brand or model suitable for these kinds of duties?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try googling "inspection cameras"?

Pay your money takes your choice....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Yep, I've tried it, but it usually shows boroscopy or something similar. Those kinds of cameras have a short focal range, so it's difficult to see in large spaces. I was hoping for some experiential advice like, 'I bought the XX model and it was great.'

Have an external company specialized in VT do the job for you once, and carefully look at the hardware they use during inspection. Ask them and get as much as possible info and use that to your benefit.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

What are you trying to do exactly might help. Connect to a phone or similar or something more sophisticated?

What CAN'T you do with your current set-up?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Basically, what we need is to conduct internal inspections through handholes to have a complete view of the interior of a vessel. Identifying areas with corrosion, loose internals, macro observations.

I use a compact body, interchangeable lens digital camera (Sony currently).
My go to lens in normal-to-wide angle adjustable and I have an LED ring light around the lens for illumination.
My light will give me white (daylight 4700K and >90% CRI) as well as red.
In highly reflective applications I find that using red light works much better.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back