Interpretation of results - Charpy test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braham0123

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2020
PE
Hello;

I am doing professional internships in a company that supplies steel.

One of my clients has requested that a material pipe be charpy tested; A333-6, SMLS, BE, SCH20,24in, 6M.

The results have come to me obtaining the following:

Foot Pounds: 52-44-36
% Shear: 55-55-50
Mils Lat Exp: 62-51-44

I am reviewing ASME B31.3 and the values obtained from the laboratory I understand are higher.

Consider that the Charpy Impact specimens are V-notch 10 x 10 mm. Tested with 8 mm striker.

Thank you for your answers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I want to know if the test result indicates that the material meets the requirements of ASTM A333 Gr.6. In case it complies, we will proceed to buy the material from the manufacturer.
I understand that the minimum value is 13 ft · lb according to ASME B31.3 - table 323.3.5 (I am not quite sure of this statement).

I would not trust random people on the internet to determine if a material complies with the standard. If you do not have the experience to read and interpret an ASTM standard, you need to find someone in your organization who does. There is more involved to ensuring compliance to the standard than just looking at impact test results.

Bob

Assuming the testing was done per ASTM A-333 Gr 6, your test indicates that the material meets the standard. Do you not have the MTR for this material.

The construction code has the final word on the minimum required impact toughness (assuming the technical specification has not demanded more).
It is quite usual for steels such as A333 Gr6 to exceed the Code requirement by a substantial margin. That appears to be the case with your material.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

All mechanical tests are subject to the following two categories.

(i) Applicable standard test procedure (e.g., CVN Impact test: materials, heat treatment of base metal, test methods, test temperature, specimens-numbers/ directions/ locations/ machining/ subsize per base metal/PWHT/welding, etc.)
(ii) Acceptance Categories : The test results shall be within the acceptance requirements of the purchaser’s specifications as well as the applicable codes and standards.

If the CVN impact test had complied with (1) & (2) above, the tests are passed because the test results have sufficient tolerable margins.

If you want to study a more detail technology of CVN impact test, please find below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back