Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interpretation of the IBC Special Inspection Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

engreg

Structural
Sep 8, 2022
US
Does anyone have a justification for when a building does not require special inspections per the IBC. Some states like North Carolina have adopted height restrictions and other measures, while the IBC is relatively vague. If anyone routinely uses their requirements for special inspections any additional interpretation would be appreciated. Hoping for wording I have missed to not require special inspections on a 2 story wood building. It has a tall dining are that may interfere with the floor stud height requirement and a long roof that may exceed the ibc of 11' and 40' respectively.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my area, the rule of thumb is: if the building requires an architect to seal it, it requires special inspections. That's not a component level thing, but a building level thing.

Example:
A two story, 5,000sf, single family home doesn't require a licensed architect. It may have some steel beams and a glass wall that necessitates engineered shear walls, but that only counts if I decide to trigger SI myself, which I can do if I felt it was warranted for the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back