Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interpreting Ang Dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacuumdesigner

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2007
US
Has anybody had the issues of adding an angular dimension to a sketch, then setting it to >180 deg, only to find the SW "interprets" what you want and gives you the angle you want in the wrong quadrant?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, this sometimes happens when the dimension crosses quadrants.

Workarounds are;
Set angle to driven, drag end point of line to approx position, reset dimension to driving and adjust to suit.

or

Draw the line in the correct position first using the "Line Properties" parameters, and then add the dimension.

[cheers]

When dimensioning you have to bear in mind that SW wants to use CCW angles based from a horizontal plane/axis.
So if you imagine a clock face the zero is from the centre to the 3, so;
lines from centre to 3 and centre to 12 would be 90° apart
lines from centre to 3 and centre to 6 would be 270° apart

[cheers]

I was using the same logic in the sketch I was creating, but if you enter a value greater than 180 SW subtracts 360 from it and shows the dimension as that lesser number. It's the angle I wanted, but now if I try to go in and change that dimension to a value less than 180 SW doesn't move the line back around to the right quadrant.

I hope that makes sense, I don't think I'm explaining it very well.

Ok, here we go.

3dsketchpd6.jpg

That should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back