Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interstitial Head question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2016
US
We are doing a large project that is going to end up having close to 800 interstitial heads on a variety of floors. The floors are open web members that will have dry wall (gypsum board) attached directly to the bottom of the joist.

A building inspector has questioned how and where the access for the heads will be accomplished, and honestly there is no way that the builder is going to add 800 access panels. I can't find anything in NFPA 13 that requires this, but if anyone can help shed some light on if this is indeed a requirement and where that requirement is coming from I'd appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There may be some wording in NFPA 25.

Not near the books.

But I do not think it is required in your situation, other settings yes

You can ask the nice inspector for a reference, so you can look at it....

If asking they should be able to point a finger at the black and white.

Here you go just check the reference

Exceptions to annual visual inspection

NFPA 25 allows exceptions for the annual visual inspection of sprinkler heads if the heads are in concealed or hazardous spaces:
From the 2017 Edition of NFPA 25

5.2.1.1.3* Sprinklers installed in concealed spaces such as above suspended ceilings shall not require inspection.

5.2.1.1.4 Sprinklers installed in areas that are inaccessible for safety considerations due to process operations shall be inspected during each scheduled shutdown.

Thank you! Extremely helpful as I hadn't even thought to check NFPA 25 and I was getting bogged down in the state building code looking for something that would confirm or deny, this will help us a lot. Again, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back