Interview Question for Production position

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAndersson

Industrial
Sep 13, 2006
US
Hello,

I have an interview this week I wanted to be prepared for a couple of questions and wanted your feedback.

I'll start with question number 1 for now.
Scenario: My position would be a shipping coordinator.

1. If you were asked to ship an order (Hot Rush) today.
Would you and how would you persuade the plant manager to ship it?

I'm looking forward to feedback to be prepared for the interview.

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suppose it would depend upon the nature of the item. Some could be readily prepared for shipment within minutes to hours while others might take days or longer. If I were to be working with the plant manager, I would first verify that it is indeed a "got to ship it now" type of item and then work with the shipping company to make sure that they are available to receive the item when ready. I would then let the plant manager now that the truck is willing to "stand by" if needed to take the item and express willingness to help out in its preparation for shipment. In a couple of instances where I have worked, we have asked the driver if they would accept the item if we brought it to them by their next couple of regular stops. This could/can work in a non-union shop. In a union environment, it would be another challenge to work with the representative as well.

My 2 Cents.

I will second PSE’s very good answer.

I would add that you can also drive it out to the terminal. We have until 6 to get overnight packages to our terminal. And you will want to use different delivery services. We have UPS come by around 3:30 and DHL comes an hour alter.

Also the US Postal service is getting surprisingly competitive on shipping.

We are using Unishippers and are pleased with both the price and the service.

1. What works for the customer?
2. Who can you trust? UPS service can vary dramatically depending on the driver.
3. Is cost an issue?

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Thank you for the advice.
I used it in a way or another, although in my interview I was nervous and my answers were not to the point. I prepared myself so much and the first question is all it took to throw me off and I thought it was down hill from there.
However I just got a call for my 3rd interview on Friday.

Geeez.
This process is killing me.

I later got a phone call from the company recruiter and she was open and frank with me. I needed to work on my answers.

I need to be brief and to the point, unfortunately the questions I was asked were tough and I had to improvise the answers to the point I strayed from the question and on top of that I filled air space.

I was laid off in January and the pressure you feel from family and being unemployed is there.

Right now I'm writing all of the questions they asked me yesterday and answering them in writing furthermore I'm also anticipating more questions they may ask.

My interview is tomorrow Friday with the Big Bosses and I have been warned "they intimidate".

If it helps to calm your nerves, remember that they are looking at hiring you because they are in need of your expertise. Otherwise they would not be looking to fill a position. At least for me, psychologically it helps level the playing field.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back