Interview with a bottle filling machine manufacturing company 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Znjmech

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2016
IT
Hi Everyone

I will have an interview next week with a bottle filling machine manufacturing company. The position is about :

To be entrusted with project management, component design, and production cycle optimization.

- general mechanical design activity for new products,

-gestion of projects on commission,

-Modeling and placement of mechanical details,

-components on mechanical engineering modeling and FEM analysis,

- Knowledge of Metallurgical and Plastic Materials,

- Knowledge of Special Processes and Non Destructive Controls,

- technical support for product specifications,

- support for the drafting of technical documentation,

-studies for the application of new closures

- reliability test

Ideal candidate features:

Degree in Mechanical Engineering

At least two-year experience in designing high speed special machines

Knowledge of key IT tools and in particular CAD

the Product life cycle optimization was not so familiar for me.

I mostly wanted to know for what kind of questions should I be prepared, and what would be the point of stress among all these activities ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at the list you provided in your initial post. Those are the things you should be prepared to answer questions about. If you have experience in those fields, then you should do fine. If you don't, then those are the areas you should brush up on.

@Coleng
Yes , I just don't know how the production cycle optimization and modelling and FEM analysis would go together in one role

SFTmech:
You should check the company's website and see what kind of products they offer. What are the different sizes, materials and applications of those products? If a customer calls and tells you about his requirement, would you be able to suggest the right product? Notice that the list you posted is very broad(general) and that is why you need the specific product information to match with these bullet points and get the whole story. When you do that, you will know what they are expecting and how you can help them. Good luck for the interview!

Cycle optimization means running the machine damn fast, meaning dynamics are important, both for the machine parts and for bottles, filled and unfilled.
Find some youtube videos of a bottling plant to get an idea of how damn fast this stuff is done.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dear Mike

Thank you very much. Yes, I am watching them.

I found this article here

that more or less explains what I was searching for. I needed to discuss on the basis of technical issues. But needed also some details.
like what are the current possible mechanisms and what would be the challenges to increase the speed as Mike indicated.

"project management, component design, and production cycle optimization"
I am a bit worried when I see project management activities mixed the technical. From management of project to FEM analysis and product cycle optimization seems like a big stretch.

Looks like two roles (or more) have been merged into one for the sake of cost efficiency and profitability. If I were you I would scrutinize the management, especially if you have the chance to interview with the boss.
I am not saying its a good or bad prospect, I just say some probing (during interview?) might be appropriate.

Star for rotw for raising a significant point.

Managing a project well is pretty much a full time job.
Executing a project well is also pretty much a full time job.

You can see the conflict there. If you accept that job description, you will most likely do a poor job of managing, and a poor job of execution, too, or you will be working two shifts for one shift's pay, which will leave you exhausted and frustrated in a short time.

The combined job description also suggests that the company has downsized for lack of revenue, and is hoping they can find a miracle worker.

Rotw also pointed out, correctly and not strongly enough, that an interview works both ways, and you should have prepared, or at least thought about, some pointed questions about how the company found itself in the hole it's dug for itself, and how exactly they plan to get out, and when they are going to stop digging, so to speak.
You'll say that politely, of course, in your own words.
Don't read it from a script. Do write it down, maybe in a couple of different ways, and read them, maybe aloud, but don't attempt to memorize it.

One of the pointy questions you must ask is about the prior incumbent. Truly new jobs are rare. Chances are that the person whom you are replacing tried their best to do both jobs out of loyalty after a downsizing, and was fired because he or she couldn't, or left to have a life outside of work.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dear Mike

Thank you so much for this sympathetic advice, it was so insightful. I appreciate it. yet I am now in a weak position, meaning desperately searching for a job. I am very afraid that asking them will lead them to interpret that I am saying that I can't do this job.

Off topic: would usually recommend against use of the word "pathetic", since it can mean too many different things.

I assume from context that you just used it in the sense of "causing sorrow", rather than "contemptibly inadequate" - but who's to know?

A.

Perhaps, but I think the job description basically implies that the "project management," is more on the order of a one, or two, person thing. Most engineers today are required to be able to estimate scope, budget, and manage their own mini-projects.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back