Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interviewing for a 4yr term position

Status
Not open for further replies.

j8715

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2009
US
So I have an interview scheduled for a DOE job that is funded for 4 years.

What do you say to questions about career goals for a position like this? Normally we are told that employers want to hear that you want to grow in the company and you have the loyalty of a golden retriever and plan to work there until you flop over dead at your desk. . . but what about this case? What do you say to people about a job that has a finite term?

It sounds from the description to be highly technical work that could be beneficial for any high precision industry I might want to work in after. Is saying I just want the experience appropriate?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Reminds me of working in aero. We went from project to project, and there were no long term guarantees. I must have sent out resumes annually and took frequent interviews.

If you have talents and potential, longevity will take care of itself. At first I was a fish out of water, but then I lasted ten years in the volatile aero industry.

The usual, that this will lead to exposure to new customers and colleagues, that it'll good job experience, and the combo may lead to a more permanent position.

I think that in many cases, questions like this do not necessarily have pat answer, and the interviewer may simply be looking to see "how" you answer the question and how enthusiastic you are.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I don't think the length of this job changes your career goals. There are a lot of things career-wise you could tell them that would create a favorable impression, especially if you do a little research into their organization first. Without specifically saying so, show them that you would be a good candidate for other positions in their organization when this particular job is done.

You could tell them that the industry they are in is one that really interests you, and you look forward to gaining the skills and knowledge to excel in this area of technical expertise, and that you hope to some day be viewed as an expert in this field. You could also talk about whether you want to stay in a technical job, or if you eventually want to move into management. Other possibilities are whether you are interested in research or getting an advanced degree.

DOE . . . i read recently about the function, purpose, objectives, and funding of the DOE from inception to current status . . . it seems the DOE does not meet its original purpose, objectives, or goals. I have not verified or investigated, but perhaps this is a matter for you to consider.

the other responses, mainly IRStuff and pasgears, offer more appropriate responses . . . only you can decide on what makes you happy at work . . .

good luck!
-pmover

Usually government positions will have an option for conversion after 2 years of meeting certain performance requirements. This position is a fixed 4 years with no options for extension or conversion?

If it is really like a 48 month contract to perform XYZ, I think the kinds of questions they ask you in regards to your career goals will be more directed how you see yourself developing technically. So create a little mission statement for yourself and do like Philmech said. Let them know you want to be an expert in this field and are excited to gain the knowledge and tools towards that end.

You could always consider it a 4 year 'trial' period with the implication that if you do well they might just find you a spot on another contract at the end of the 4 years (or possibly before that).

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

4 years is a life time for a contractor. Design periods for mines and major petrochem projects may alst 18 months if you are lucky. If you are good at what you do they will want you on the next project.

If asked just tell them your here to learn all you can and hopefully give as much back in your determined efforts.

Have no expectations for the future but be sure you take any opportunity that presents itself.

The days of a long term career with anyone are over. Company restructures, take overs, moving off shore etc all work against working for one company for a long time, unless its your own. As a contractor take the view that the company is your own and you are providing services to DOE. When the contract finishes you are still employed by your OWN company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back