Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Introduction of stresses due to shoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc.rogue

Structural
Jan 23, 2020
US
I have been analyzing the effects of shoring specifically in prestress members. Some systems call for crown, an additional push of the member upwards are erection. This is usually accomplished by pushing the piece at the middle of the span with a post shore up to the specified crown.I am wondering can this simply be taken as a point load acting at the bottom of the beam or is there a more robust way to go about analyzing this.

Mind you this has an effect in internal stresses and camber. Additional stress is being provided to the bottom of the beam which further compresses the bottom. Also a stress analysis is done and all allowable stresses are met.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For already hardened prestress member, you can push it up, but only to an extent to negate the effect of member self weight, since the weight is already there, and the strands have lengthened/relaxed accordingly. But I would push at more points than one to assure the deformation of push up agrees with the deflection shape due to self weight. After all, you will need to restress before un-shore then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back