Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Introduction to mining 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beta101

Electrical
Jan 21, 2006
I was wondering if anyone in this forum can direct to a document that explain in some detail the functions and meaning of mining equipment and words such as: apron feeder, grizly feeder, screens,ROM, Hoist, decline etc...I am new to a mining project and need to understand some of this meanings.

Many Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Beta101,

I cannot think of one document that would explain all of those terms.

Here is a glossary of some mining terms
and a book of Mining Explained
Other resources include books at SME, check
For feeders and screens, check
I have briefly explained the terms that you listed below. Note that many mining countries and jurisdictions have their own unique terms for mining equipment, which will make your investigations that much more difficult.

Feeders supply muck (ore or waste rock) to a process (e.g. a crusher). Apron or grizzly feeders are just two ways to "feed" the material to the process (there are others).

Screens are used to separate materials according to size.

ROM stands for Run of Mine, which essentially is muck (i.e. ore or waste) that has been blasted but has not been sized (e.g. crushed) any further. It is generally relatively large, and can be difficult to handle.

A hoist is a machine that raises and lowers the cages (e.g. elevators for personnel and material travel) and skips/buckets/kibbles (for lifting muck out of the mine). A hoist is sometimes called a winder.

A decline is an excavation in the rock at a grade that can be walked or driven in a vehicle, often at anywhere between flat to -20%.

A lateral excavation in a mine is often called a drift. A vertical (or nearly vertical) excavation in a mine is often called a raise.

Cheers,
CanuckMiner

I was wondering what are some of your thoughts regarding the timeframe for the boom in commidty prices we are currently enjoying. An article in a recent issue of SME's Mining Engineering addressed the issue, but in the end never came to a prediction. I've heard people talking about the current boom lasting another 5-10 years. I've also heard talk of the 5-10 year low for Copper being anywhere from $1.10-$1.50/lb with the high being at it's current level of $3 and change. What are your thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back