Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

invalid hardcopy configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicopee

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2003
US
I have plotted from the same computer for about 4 years with no issue. The ACAD version is 2005. Operating system is windows 7. Recently, on my attempts to plot, I get this message " an invalid hardcopy configuration" and I get no plot. What does that mean and how can I have the computer to plot again?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

May be a paper size definition that isn't supported by the printer itself. Try printing an unscaled letter-sized view on a letter sized sheet from a common inkjet/laserjet printer. Then work your way back to the printer you can't print from, and drawing you can't print out, combination step by step until something breaks.

What printer ARE you using?
What are you printing and how are you specifying plot size?
AutoCAD currently allows specific plot configuration files (PCP or PC3, I can't remember exactly the file extension) and although I don't know if ACAD 2005 did this, it did have something equivalent even then. That file is very user-customizable. Enough that I often say "I'm no touching that".

STF

There are a lot of unknown variables here (like was mentioned - what printer), but we did have an experience where an obsolete printer driver (no longer supported) worked fine until a certain Windows Update....then it did not work at all.

HP photosmart7515 ink jet. I've used it successfully for the years of ownership (circa 5 years)without problems for 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. For E, D and C size prints I'll go to Copycat.

On the subject of PDF, with the same printer, after proportioning my drawings in layouts, and setting it up to plot in CutePDF which worked fine for a few years, PDF somehow updated their program and then I could only print half a sheet; the problem persisted eventhough I uninstalled and reinstalled cutepdf a couple of times,

Do you have the Microsoft print-to-pdf yet? I think it's standard with Win10.

BTW, do you have your inkjet sorted out yet? Have you tried a HP driver update? Thinking back a few years, I remember DOWNgrading a HP print driver from "version 6" to "version 5" and getting good results. Whether I did that for AutoCAD or for some other reason, I don't remember.

STF

This may not be germaine to this problem, but some years ago after upgrading to windows XP I found that I could not plot autocad 2003 programs. If I saved the file as an autocad 14 file the plotter would work perfectly. I never did find what the problem was. Eventually I bought an HP large format printer and junked the plotter.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Upgrade drivers for my HP printer seems to be out of circulation but I'll try again. I am also thinking about restoring the operating system back to manufacturer default to determine if upgrades have caused an invalid hardcopy configuration. My operating system is Windows 7 so I don't believe win10 is installed even after tons of upgrades.

My inquiry "Invalid Hardcopy Configuration" was routed to the AutoCAD Forum and the problem solved was by "asdfjklsemi_colon". Following his procedure, printing was no longer an issue.

Oops! I picked the wrong one above; this is it:

invalid hardcopy configuration - Autodesk Community
forums.autodesk.com› AutoCAD› Forum

Same author as above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back