Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inventor 10 Vault Install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1sds

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2005
US
Our company is considering using the Vault application supplied with Inventor for managing the data between the r&d and design drafting groups. Is anyone using it currently and if so, what did it take to get the data migrated and the users efficient in its use? Did you buy training? Did you buy migration of data assistance? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
sds

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm just a one man show.

Using Vault to facilitate easy file transfer between laptop and work machines (and have back-up and version control on the server).

We had significant "issues" installing Vault on our Server due to a conflict with our tape back-up software, and the install location.

I tried initially, but hired our VAR to fix the install, install R10 on the work machine and laptop, and get an initial Vault set-up started.

I strongly suggest training so you understand how it works before integrating it....or get one guy stated using it and experimenting before a full company wide implementation.

You really want to perfect your file structure before movign stuff, or it will get real complicated to try and fix everyones machines to by synchronized on a new structure. I did not buy any migration assistance since I basically re-structured everything as I went.

It is a powerful tool, but with power comes some complications and the better you can understand them the less painful it will be.

There is a lot of reading you can do to try and educate yourself, but it not the simplest thing to understand (and seems to change every release). Go to the autodesk/vault discussion group and search for "white papers" and "single project technique" to find more stuff.

My suggestion would be to install the Vault and have one person start playing with it to try and learn how it works. That way they can start asking good questions of the VAR. When the new release (R5) comes out then do a full install which will allow you to avoid having to migrate everything a couple weeks after the initial roll-out.

Just a thought....but I would definately suggest buying training and install help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back