Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inventor 2010 and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

rac4wd

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2007
US
I am about to purchase a new computer and it is coming with Windows 7 Professional. Will Inventor 2010 and other Autodesk products run with 7?

Thanks for any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typical Autodesk, they have a habit of not supporting older releases. They expect people to upgrade. Does not mean that most older releases will not work just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Be careful. As of today even though Autodesk claims it "supports" Windows 7 it does not work 100% on windows 7 without issues and hotfixes/service packs have not been released yet to make it work without issues. "supports" means that they will work with you to fix issues. But not all issues have been fixed.

The smart person will wait till 2011 before going to W7.

Or at least till Autodesk starts posting hotfixes/service packs to address the known issues.

I have been following a lot of the problems on the NG for all the "supported" products. I would have thought Autodesk would have been actively testing all these problems on the Beta release?.. guess not.

We have out new x64 machines arriving at the end of next week, all with Windows 7. Should be interesting. By the looks it may be worth doing a dual boot with XP or Vista until the problems are resolved.

EngAddict, a beta is a beta and will change. Autodesk will not spend a huge amount of time testing on a beta and recoding only to have to retest/recode again once the RTM version is out.

But that is the point of the Beta, sure it will change, errors should be repaired and how else can they know of these errors if people don't test the beta.
They should not offer support if they are so unprepared to fulfill that obligation. It is Autodesk's obligation to spend time testing it to make sure that the proprietary software they offer is compatible with the latest OS. Considering the repercussion of the cost of down time caused by these types of programs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back