Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inventor 2011 Drawing proble: Parts not visible in a top view, even though reference parts are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swixcap

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2011
NO
Hi there.

I am making a drawing of a big assembly which includes many parts and a couple of reference parts, standing on a thin floor. The base view from the front and the side view looks fine (except I had to set Margin to >100 to get the whole geometry of the ref. parts to show up), but a big problem occurs when I create a top view (the most important view here!), either as a base or a projected view: None of the parts are visible, although all the reference parts are shown as they should. If I enable Shaded view, the parts show up as shaded surfaces without edges. If I tilt the view a tiny bit, so it's not straight from above, all the parts show up (Of course I COULD do this, but it doesn't really fix the actual problem). I have not had this problem with other assemblies before.
Failed attempts to fix the problem:
- I lowered the XY origin plane in the assembly model by 2 m. Somehow this fixed the problem temporarily and the view appeared just fine, but after working on a different sheet for some time and going back, the problem presented itself yet again and moving the origin plane again made no difference.
- Created top view both as base and as a projected view - no difference.
- Changed every option available in the Drawing View tab; Associative View, Level of Detail, Style, Scale, Reference Data, Display Options - made no difference.
- Clicked Include All Surfaces on the assembly file.
- Tried opening the model from Vault, C: and other servers to make a drawing - no difference.
- Restarted everything.

I suspect there is something weird with the actual assembly model, maybe a plane or similar that hides the parts when viewed from above, but I have not found anything.

I apologize for not posting pictures of the problem in question, but I fear I'm not allowed to share any part of the drawing. I hope some of you might recognize the problem and have a solution. Any help is much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back