Inventor - Copy/Paste with link

Status
Not open for further replies.

janekbaranek

Automotive
Apr 16, 2016
PL
Hello
I've just started using Autodesk Inventor, and im wondering is it possible to copy and paste datum features(like planes, points, lines) with link. I would like to make skeleton part and create there all main datum features, and than copy these features to other parts in assembly.

In Catia there is an option - "Paste special" --> "As result with link".Is there something familiar in Inventor ?

Thx for answer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you want to experiment with a "derived part".

At its very simplest, you can create your reference part, with the features, work planes, and points/lines you need, and then bring it into new part files as a "derived part" for use as the reference. Once you build the features you need in that part, you can make a dozen more with the same reference part, each with the same inserted reference. Each time, you can select what solid features or work features you want to include (and go back and change your selection later). This process creates numerous parts based on the same reference file. Changes to the reference file will be reflected in all of the derived parts. You can follow a similar process using assemblies, particularly if the destination parts are all members of the same assembly.

There are Productivity Tools in Inventor that automate some of this process.

There are plenty of Youtube tutorials on the subject. Hopefully this gives you the terminology to make your searches successful.

Sadly, most CAD tutorials are geared toward new users. Very rarely are tutorials made to guide users of one CAD system as they transition to another.

BTW, in Inventor, avoid using "Paste special" as much as possible.

STF

Thanks a lot for your answer. I'm looking for two more operations. In Catia it is called:

-Axis to Axis tranformation

-Translate - point to point

Is there sth like that in inventor ?

I think you are looking for "DIRECT EDIT" which can translate and rotate individual features and bodies within a part model.

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back