Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inventor: new sketch cannot reference anything off previous sketches/features

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKerr23

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2012
US
Everytime I start a new sketch based off either the origin or a face of a previous sketch/feature, I cannot reference any point from it to base my next sketch on. Being that I am somewhat new to Inventor coming from SW I am curious to see if there is some way that this is possible since it is needed to draw up the rest of the portions of the part I am making. Any ideas on how to fix this? Bear in mind I am stuck with the 2009 version

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tools..application options..sketch tab... check "autoproject edges for sketch creation and edit"
I also like "autoproject part origin on sketch create" to be checked also..in case its not

It was already checked off and I still cannot reference to any previous sketch... only edges from features which i had to do dimensions instead of snap points to line it up... and to make matters worse, Inventor cannot even loft a simple trapezoidal shape and all the constraints are in place

In Inventor you need to use Project Geometry to reference other sketch geometry. I normally do not turn on the project edges on sketch creation because when I dimension to it I can scrub the edge and it will automatically project anyway. I don't like making references to faces when the majority of the time I don't want them as a parent reference.

Inventor can loft a simple trapezodial shape, perhaps there is just a few new user missteps involved here. Attach your file if you want someone to take a look at what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back