Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inventor UCS & default sketch plane orientations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinPearson

Petroleum
May 1, 2011
US
Hello folks... new to Inventor, been using AutoCAD near daily at work for about 12 years or so. I'd like to change my default UCS orientation AND the default sketch planes' orientations to be +X=right/east, +Y=north/into screen and +Z=up. I've figured out how to change the orientation of the View Cube so that my Front View is +X to right and +Z to up, and the Home View to be an iso view from the southwest with everything oriented how I would like. However, when I initiate the Sketch command, my XY sketch plane is still vertical, not like the default views of the UCS planes.

I've looked online and there's so many people that want to argue about which way is right or wrong; that's not my point here. Mathematically, any three orthogonal axes are legitimate, but as a practical matter, users interface with other things they are used to working with e.g. CAD, spreadsheets, etc. I don't believe there's a "right" orientation, I'd just like to change mine to the way I'm used to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe this is what you are asking about..
tools..application options.. part tab.. "Sketch on new part creation" section.. Change that to whatever works for you..

There is also the view cube Options dialog accessible by right clicking on the view cube and selecting options.. (default viewcube orientation)

Between those 2 you should be able to set it exactly as you want..

OK, thank you mcgyvr. I've looked at those settings and haven't quite gotten the defaults to be like I wanted, but I'll check the autodesk forums, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back