Inventor vs Catia or Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvt

Marine/Ocean
May 7, 2002
NL
Hi All,

I`m looking for a comparison chart between Inventor and Catia and possible other CAD packages.

I work in the ship building industry and we want to move from 2D to 3D design. We build ships with a size in the range from 15foot to 150foot with our avarage ship size of 110foot. And we want to completely model the ship in 3D including piping and interiors. In the end it should be possible to walk thrue a ship so our customer knows what he is buying. And we know what to build...

I'm not looking for a big thread of Inventor versus other packages but I'm looking for links to internet pages which can sched me some light on the subject to help me deside. If I talk to a catia representative he says it's possible, so does a Autodesk representative.....

If there is anybody in this forum thas uses Inventor in the shipbuilding I realy like to hear there experiances and if a Catia user accedently access this forum I also like to here if he is using Inventor....

My main interest is if a package can handle the complexity we need for our environment.

Regards,
rvt
rvt@dds.nl

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Working with both SWX and INV, I haven't seen an ability to do this "walk through" that you want. I know that SWX is not able to do it as a stand-alone package. With lots of work, photoworks and animator (add-ons) may be able to do it, but would require lots of rendering time and would not be able to be modified on-the-fly. If a customer asked you to "take a left at the next corridor", and you had already scripted (and rendered and animated) a straight path, you wouldn't be able to give the customer anything until a lot later!

Inventor seems to have the same limitations - you can pan, zoom, explode, etc, but not perform a dynamic fly through. Basically, you would not be able to zoom "through" an object and replicate a "camera path".

Let me know if you find anything else on this - I tried exactly what you are attempting but with a building, not a ship.
Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back