Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Involute Spline Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingus187

Industrial
Apr 9, 2009
US
Looking for a double angle cutter to cut a spline shaft. Below are the dimensions.

The pitch is 9DP
10 tooth spline
C=.540
RD=.4975
OD=.620
M=.554
Tooth width is .190
Tooth depth is .113
Vally .135

If anyone can help me identify this spline I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
Dingus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you mean an involute form milling cutter.

How did you come up with 9DP?
I know of no spline standard that uses this pitch.
By my calcs. if it was 9DP x 10 teeth the external major diameter would be around 31.04mm. You have 15.75.
Your data makes it closer to 18DP. Once again....there is no such pitch in any of the spline standards I know of.

What pressure angle is it?
What are C, M & Vally that you refer to.
What was the chordal addendum you used when measuring a tooth width of 4.826mm?

Ron Volmershausen
Brunkerville Engineering
Newcastle Australia

All measurements were taken from center of shaft. My 9DP gage fits perfectly inbetween the teeth on the shaft. c=chord, vallet refers to the width between teeth at bottom.

I actually am having a cutter made today. We simply sliced off a sextion of the old one. They used it as a sample.

Thank you for your responses. We were hoping to find an off the shelf shaft.

Dingus187,

I agree with gearcutter, your dimensions do not agree with a 10t/9dp involute spline. Since you want to use a milling cutter to generate the spline teeth, I'm assuming this is an external spline. A 10t/9dp fillet root, involute external spline should have a minor diameter around 0.88 inch, not 0.4975 inch as you state. The tooth whole depth should also be around 0.17 inch, not 0.113 inch. Assuming a pressure angle around 30deg.

Generating a 10t/9dp spline also requires some finesse. A spline with that few teeth will be prone to undercutting, even with a high pressure angle. So making a milling cutter for that profile is no simple matter.

Good luck.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back