Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Involute Spline 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trallee

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2000
US
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the equation to calculate the circular tooth thickness of an involute spline. The Machinery's Handbook has everything but that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

trallee,
try looking at ANSI standard B92.1b-1996. Well at least that was the addendum we had here. There are equations for max. effective tooth thickness, and minimum actual tooth thickness. Let me know if you do not have access to this standard.

smitty1322,
I do not have this standard but will probably get it ordered. Do you have the equation available? I would really appreciate it if you could give it to me since acquiring the standard will take me some time.

Thanks,
Troy

Trallee,

Minimum actual tooth thickness is the value of the max effective tooth thickness minus the manufacturing variations fo lead, profile, adn spacing (gamma) minus the machining tolerances. Tmin=Tvmax-(gamma+m).
Maximum effective tooth thickness (Tvmax)has three different formulas all for different spline angles.
30 deg=(pi/2P)-es
37.5 deg= ((.5pi+.1)/P)-es
45 deg= ((.5pi+.2)/P)-es
I hope this helps.

Hi Trallee, did you got the standard?
Did it reach your need?
I know how to draw a involuted spline , but I do not know how far or near to Standar.

Feel free to ask more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back