Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Iodine Value and Molasses Test on Activated Carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOIT

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2004
US
Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read this. I am a mechanical engineer at a power plant and we are looking into using Activated Carbon products to remove wastes from our flue gas.

We are looking for a method to test the incoming bulk carbon for consistent reactivity and while I have found these two values (iodine and molasses) all over the internet I have not found the method for how this testing is conducted. We would like to test the products in-house and any assistance in regards to test procedures would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although iodine and molasses are used routinely within the activated carbon industry, neither test is a great method and both are subject to interferences. You might want to submit your request for help on the site listed below.

http://www.jacobi.net
For flue gas cleaning, and unless the temperature is not too high (say < 230°C) most high quality activated carbons will be suitable.
As said neither the iodine idex, nor the methylene blue index, and nor the molasses index is a test good enough.

If you were to select just one index, a very personal choice would be to pick the iodine index if you are concerned mainly with mercury, and the methylène blue indewx if you are mostly concerned by dioxins.
I always test the product, however
Our experience is that, on line testing is necessary to determine the proper quantity of carbon to be used.

Be careful, one given set of pollutants will dictate the dosage requirements.

The molasses method is NSTM 219
the methylene blue test is Nevada Dpt of transportation test method T503A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back