Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ion implanter isolation transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoliu

Electrical
Apr 21, 2005
US
Does anybody here know this type of transformer. It is delta/wye , 208v/208v, 10kva. But the neutral point of secondary is connected to a 100kV DC point? Why the neurtal point is connected like that? Strange to me. Any opinion?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One guess -
Vacuum tubes have a heating element called a filament which in some applications needs to operate at a high potential to function as an electron emitter. The most common example of this today is the magnetron in a microwave oven. A transformer supplies low voltage for the filament with the secondary winding being insulated for high voltage with respect to ground. A high voltage DC supply is applied to one of the two filament terminals to make it act as an emitter.

Thanks, alehman. I still don't understand several things. Is the DC source different form that for isolation transformer? Why the DC voltage need to be connected to the neutral point?

The DC source is external to the transformer. Sometimes it is derived from a elecrically separate winding on the same transformer. Don't know why it's connected at the neutral.

A 10 KVA 208/208 Volt transformer that can withstand 100,000 volts DC floating on the secondary is outside of my experience. I suspect that the connection is to the low side of the HV DC source.
yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back