Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP 65 to NEMA Class protection conversion needed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ2002

Electrical
Mar 4, 2002
US
Does anyone have the conversions for IP proectection classes compared to the NEMA ratings? I am doing some work in europe and need to located a good reference equatings the two standards as close as possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that NEMA has adopted IEC compliance in the form of:
NEMA ICS-16-2001
Industrial Control and Systems
Motion/Position Conrol Motors, Controls, and Feedback Devices

The typical nomenclature characterized with "IP XX" where XX are the first and second characters for the degree of protection are per IEC60529. This can be found on pages 60 thru 65 of the above document.

IP65 is approximately NEMA 13. You can find additional information at Click Product Catalog, then Technical Resources, then Industry Standards (Acrobat 46K).

The March 1999 issue of Control Engineering ( has a "Back to Basics" article entitled "Comparing enclosure standards." Access is free, but you need to fill out a free subscription qualifying form. The easiest way to find the article seems to be to search the title. The article is based on Hoffman and

Read those resources, but in a nutshell you'll see that IP65 is a litle better than NEMA 12, not quite as good as NEMA 4. If you MUST meet IP65 and it is a washdown area, go with NEMA 4. If it is not a washdown area, NEMA 12 is usually OK. If you are attempting to use IP65 in lieu of NEMA 4, it usually will not suffice. The water force test spec for IP65 is the equivalent of being on the floor in a shower. For NEMA 4 it is 60GPM from a 1" nozzle in any direction (IIRC).

http:/Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

There are numerous comparisons from a quick Google search. One I have a little faith in is from Reliance:

One thing to remember is that (e.g.) IP56 is not necessarily inferior to IP65 - the two digits are independent ratings of two different parameters, so a 'higher' number is not always better. Strictly the examples would be IP five-six and IP six-five, not fifty-six and sixty-five.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Another thing to remember when looking at comparisons of IP and NEMA enclosure protection ratings: NEMA defines classifications for INDOOR and OUTDOOR enclosures, whereas IP ratings do not. Just because IP65/66 is water/dust tight (as an example), does not mean it is suitable for mounting outside.

expanding a little: be very aware of the effects of UV radiation in sunlight. It leads to a premature death of polystyrene enclosures, and A-B's Panelview 550 screens degrade to a translucent matt finish which renders them useless.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back