Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP rating for MIL-STD circular connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappedagain

Electrical
Jul 19, 2005
US
We use some MIL-STD-38999 connectors (Amphenol, Glen-Air, etc.) and I'm trying to figure out an IP## (ingress protection) rating for them. For example, how does the IP rating compare for a non-environmental M85049/36 backshell vs. an 'environmental' M85049/17 backshell? I'm not seeing a clear definition of environmental in DTL38999.

Are there any tricks to figure out the conversion from MIL-STD to IP?

Z

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't recall the mil connector specs normally addressing immersion. This is from vague recollection. Immersion is not normally a requirement for avionics, but salt spray might be. Many are quite well sealed on the face, but sealing the cable end is obviously tricky.

If a particular 38999 type connector met the IP ratings, then it might be mentioned explicitly. Example see pg 2.

The connectors, per se, are not IP65 compliant. You would need to get a 38999 with a specific class designation like H, N, or Y, as described in paragraph 1.3.1c. These would be hermetically sealed versions.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thanks. I'm looking for IP25 or IP26 so the equipment and connectors can be washed down (cleaned up). This seems like it should be trivial when you look at the environments these connectors were designed for.

As it was mentioned above, I see Amphenol does have an Aqcuacon series that is immersible.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back