Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP66 NEMA 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
I am working on a housing that must be weatherproof. It is mounted outside on top of an SUV.

I do not have a lot of room, so I am trying to eliminate some of the gaskets. My primary seam is between a cover and a base plate. The cover is installed from the top. There is a flat, machined surface that makes contact with the top of the base, also machined flat. This all is embedded in a fairly deep, accurate pocket, such that the machined contact faces are not very accessible to jets of water. The bottom of the cover and the bottom of the base plate are flush.

Does anyone have experience with testing stuff like this, or has anyone seen literature I can look for?

This is IP66/NEMA_4 stuff. It will not be submerged.

Critter.gif
JHG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MadMango,

That was a nice link. I have just printed it off.

I understand the standards. IP66 and NEMA_4 require the enclosure to survive fairly violent jets of water. What I am looking for is practical knowledge of what might actually survive this. I am trying to avoid using a gasket.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back