IP68 Rubber Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramadan Ahmed

Mechanical
May 16, 2024
SA
Good evening all

I would like to ask, what is the best rubber gasket material for sealing for IP68 stadard rating?
I'm trying to seal a camera which has electronic components inside and will be used in a military enviromet

Can you please help me with the selection of the material
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear, I will use my system in an outdoor environment it will be exposed to sunlight, rain, and dust. i read that NBR will not be a good choice for outdoor applications but im not sure if it will do the job or not.

from my external references:

For an IP68 application, the suitable rubber material should provide excellent resistance to water, dust, and harsh environmental conditions while maintaining durability and flexibility. Here are some common rubber materials suitable for IP68 applications:

Silicone Rubber:

Temperature Resistance: -60°C to +230°C
Water Resistance: Excellent, suitable for continuous immersion.
Key Features: High flexibility, UV and ozone resistance, excellent sealing properties.

EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer):

Temperature Resistance: -50°C to +150°C
Water Resistance: Excellent, resistant to water, steam, and chemicals.
Key Features: Good weatherability, ozone, and UV resistance.

Nitrile Rubber (NBR):

Temperature Resistance: -40°C to +100°C
Water Resistance: Good, especially for oil-contaminated environments.
Key Features: Resistant to oils, fuels, and some chemicals.

Fluorosilicone Rubber:

Temperature Resistance: -60°C to +200°C
Water Resistance: Excellent, similar to silicone with added chemical resistance.
Key Features: Combines properties of silicone with added fuel and oil resistance.

Viton® (FKM):

Temperature Resistance: -20°C to +200°C
Water Resistance: Very good, excellent chemical and heat resistance.
Key Features: Suitable for harsh chemical environments and high temperatures.
For most IP68 applications, silicone rubber is often preferred due to its excellent sealing properties, wide temperature range, and long-term durability in extreme environments.

R.Efendy

For sealing to an IP68 standard rating, especially for a camera with electronic components used in a military environment, silicone rubber is typically the best choice. Silicone rubber provides excellent sealing performance, durability, and resistance to extreme temperatures, moisture, and chemicals, making it suitable for harsh conditions and ensuring a high level of protection against dust and water ingress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back