Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IR Cameras & Single Board Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WMgk

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2013
AU
Hi everyone,

I am trying to be able to control an IR camera on a remote single board computer with a Linux OS to no avail. Part of the condition is that it must function with Linux via a USB connection, be able to control exposure/gain as well as take photos of reasonable quality to recognize text on passing vehicles.

I have tried an IDS Machine Vision camera which worked well when installed in the office on a Windows PC, but not on the Linux single board computer.

Has anyone had any experience trying to manipulate an IR camera on a Linux machine via USB that might be able to provide guidance? Any product recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't you think that it would be easier if you talk to the manufacturers and find one with a Linux control driver and application?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of those that are functional with Linux, we've found that the quality is much lower compared to those running on Windows. It isn't something I deal with every day so forgive my naivety. It's hard to describe what constitutes 'reasonable quality' on a forum but if anyone has product suggestions based on experience working with Linux it would go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back