Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IRC 2009 Live Load Reduction Formula 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

msquared48 is right. There is not much advantage considering live load reduction for a residential building. Stick to IRC and try not to mix it with IBC.

No.

The 2006 IRC has a table (R301.6) for pitch reduction that allows a 16 psf live load for 4:12 to less than 12:12 pitches. It also has a table (R301.7) for area reduction that is close to the 2006 IBC.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

woodman88 -

The OP's question was with regards to live load and you are referring to roof live load. They are not one and the same. Also, table R301.7 is for allowable deflection of structural members. No where it talks about any reduction is live load, unless I am missing something. I am looking at IRC2009...don't have IRC2006.

strucguy-

The OP also is referring to the 2009 IRC (which I do not have a copy of here) not the 2006 IRC.
It also refers to live loads not floor live loads. Which are in the 2006 IBC both under the Live Load (section 1607 of the 2006 IBC) so how is one to assume that only floor live loads are referred to in the OP? The 2006 IRC also refers to roof loads as live loads, see section R301.6.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back