Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRC Floor Flatness Requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

XR250

Structural
Jan 30, 2013
US
I have a situation where a joist is 1/4" taller than the adjacent joists in new construction. The builder is giving pushback to the owner on fixing it. Without getting into how or why to fix it, is there anything in the 2018 IRC regarding this? How about using the span/deflection ratio requirements with the subfloor as the member? 16" O.C. / 0.25" = L/64?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the finish material? Typically the finish has tolerance requirements. If there are tolerances for the finish then that could be put on the builder to show how they plan to meet the tolerances if the framing is so far out.

Engineered Hardwood. Just went down that road and found this....

: National Wood Flooring Association, a defect performance standard.

Part III

Subfloor Flatness and Integrity

A. Wood subfloors must be flat, clean, dry, structurally sound, free of squeaks and free of protruding fasteners.

1. For installations using mechanical fasteners of 1½” and longer, the subfloor should be flat to within ¼” in 10 feet or 3/16” in 6 feet radius.

2. For glue-down installations and installations using mechanical fasteners of less than 1½”, the subfloor should be flat to within 3/16” in 10 feet or 1/8” in 6 feet radius.

B. If peaks or valleys in the subfloor exceed the tolerances specified above, sand down the high spots and fill the low spots with a leveling compound or other material approved for use under wood flooring. However, it is the builder’s or general contractor’s responsibility to provide the wood-flooring contractor with a subfloor that is within the tolerances listed above.

Is there a requirement that they achieve any flatness? I spec it for concrete... and that's about it.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

It depends on what he purchased...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Seems like good backup. There maybe requirements for the underside of the joist if it has a finished material i.e. is the ceiling for a lower floor.

This appears to be one of those areas of fighting among subcontractors as well. Flooring installer will be pissed if they are responsible for finessing out a 1/4" hump because the framers were too lazy. All and all a workmanship/means and methods problem. However it occasionally gets dump to the engineer if the general contractor can not handle it.

Well my condolences to the homeowner. Hopefully they have some leverage on the general contractor and/or the general is reputable... its always a shame when these items turn into lawsuits.

I'm surprised the flooring installer did not bring this up with the general contractor.

Usually the first thing the flooring installers do is check the floor for level. Then they go to the GC and say, "We need more money for floor leveling compound (float)"

XR250 - I bet you are correct. It's a brutal business.

I worked for a large production builder back in my homebuilding days. We had 1 bag of float budgeted per 100 sq. ft. of floor (that is not a lot of float). If the flooring guys wanted more, then I had to pay an extra; which reduced my bonus money. Or, I had to back charge the framer or foundations guys for float.

All the contractors on the projects are the lowest bidder; and there almost always is an accelerated ~70 day build schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back