Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IRC Table R606.6.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyypk

Structural
Sep 29, 2004
US
I am writing to enquire about the IRC table R606.6.4. I believe the table is obtained from the Empirical Design Chapter in ACI 530.

In Table R606.6.4, footnote (a) noted the ratio of height to nominal thickness for cantilevered walls.
Based on the limitation of empirical design,

Seismic
Empirical requirements shall not apply to the design or construction of masonry for buildings or other structures in seismic Design Category D, E, F as defined in ASCE 7, and shall not apply to the design of the seismic-force-resisting system for structures in seismic design category B or C.

Wind
From Table A.1.1; basically limited to building height less than 35 ft and basic wind speed less than 125 mph for masonry foundation wall application (without unbalanced fill).

Other horizontal loads
Empirical requirements shall not apply to structures resisting horizontal loads other than permitted wind or seismic loads or foundation walls.

My questions:
Shall these ratios apply to the CMU foundation without unbalanced fill? and shall the cantilevered wall apply to the foundation wall with no floor diaphragm (i.e. stepped foundation with the wood cripple wall) and without unbalanced fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back