Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Iron-Steel Diagram : Comprehension 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredTechWelding

Petroleum
Nov 19, 2012
FR

According to the Iron-Steel Diagram, over a certain temperature, the initial Iron/Steel structure is complete transformed in Austenite.

My question is :
For the Steel with very low carbon content (for example for pure ferrite steel), where does the carbon come from to complete the transformation of each austenite structure ?
By definition, ferrite structure only possess a body-centered cubic structure with only 1 carbon element, as the autenite structure (face-centered cubic) possess 6 carbon elements....

Thanks in advance !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To get all technical, many sources state the definition of austenite as a solid solution of C in gamma-Fe. By this definition with no carbon, it is not austenite. You speak of low carbon steels. If there is any carbon the Fe-C binary phase diagram applies and the phase can be seen at equilibrium. Notice the sliver of alpha-Fe on the left side for extremely low amounts of C. This accounts for concentrations and temperatures where there isn't enough carbon to transform to austenite (FCC).

Also, the link TVP pointed to came from the University I graduated from. I remember the class that included this presentation, it was an intro to materials science and engineering lab class that all engineering majors were required to take. A little over the heads of most other engineering majors I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back