Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Irregular Profile in NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesEngineer4

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2013
IN
Hello everyone,

Wish you all a Merry Christmas!

I'm writing this thread to seek your help/suggestions. I'm trying to convert one body into parametric in NX. This body has a strange irregular profile. Could you please help me or give me some suggestions on how I can achieve the shape? or how my approach should be to get the same without using meshing?

I have attached the Parasolid herewith.

Thank You for your time and support!

Thanks & Regards

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=076cbd64-6e7b-4e8e-8772-8459554b9216&file=Profile.x_t
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

does this body need to be adjustable via expressions? or does it just need to be created with parametric features?
I could certainly hodge-podge this together parametrically using datum planes, sketches, extrude and edge blends..

This however would be much easier to just mesh together with surfaces and then modify with synchronous modelling if needed.

additionally, this component looks like it would be heavily influenced by external components in an assembly which stealing geometry from would be a huge help.

Hi, It need to be created with parametric features and I'm not allowed to use synchronous modelling. Also, I should try my best to not to use surfacing

Thanks & Regards

This looks like a part where much of the underlying geometry has been modeled away, and some of the remaining is invalid for any production use. I don't believe it can be, or should be, reproduced exactly. Unfortunately, the geometry that would control any parameters is missing, eliminating a need for parameters.

I would re-create it with sheets sewn together and use thicken to get the final part, but then what would be the need other than to clean up the geometry?

NX 2212 Windows 10

The only way I know is to remodel this with some parametrics, not all of course. I would untrim all of the planer surfaces and redo the blends. Which would be all surfacing tools... would take less than an hour to rebuild it that way

I'm glad I don't have any modeling restrictions... my job is to make it happen.

Is this some kind of a test ?
what do you know of this model ? do you have a drawing or something like that ?

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back