Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Irregularity of a retail store type building

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunyaer

Structural
Jun 21, 2004
CA
Retail store buildings usually have transfer beams on 2nd floor (ceiling of 1st floor) to reduce the number of columns, so that there would be large space on ground floor for retail stores, what type of irregularity would this type of buildings have? Vertical stiffness irregularity? Thanks for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've not encountered that...

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

It would depend on the code you are following. In general, irregularities occur where there is a significant difference in stiffness. Your situation may also be subject to an irregularity due to a discontinuity in the lateral system.

In what follows, I've assumed a concrete building with shear walls as the lateral system.

1) A vertical stiffness irregularity is unlikely. It would be more likely if it were a moment frame building with the main floor much taller than the floors above.

2) If there's a commonly encountered irregularity with this setup, I would guess that it would be a mass irregularity owing to the -- potentially -- much heavier mass of the transfer level. In my experience, this irregularity is more likely with transfer slabs than transfer beams.

That said, we know next to nothing about your building and it's conceivable that just about any of the NBCC irregularities might apply under the right set of circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back