Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a Monolithic Slab Safe to Use where the Ground Freezes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRLF

Electrical
Jan 27, 2007
US
I live in Northern Nevada, where it gets very cold for four( 4) months of the year,viz. Dec- thru- March.

My home has a slab that was poured over perimeter footings that are 16 inches wide, and 30 inches tall, 24 inches below grade and 6" above grade,

with the footings reinforced top and bottom with two (2) # 4 bars, and with the slab reinforced with #3 rebar.

I recently asked a Contractor to work with a C.E. to come up with plans to add on an additional garage and heated workshop.

The plans he and the C.E. came up with have a monolithic slab, that is 12"wide at the perimeter, 4" thick, which is reinforced with 6x6x10 WWM,

and the perimeter of monolithic slab is reinforced with two #4 bars at the bottom, and one up at the top.

Being that my home is located in the most seismic area of Reno,that is, it's rated as Seismic Zone 3, but some at UNR have said it is more a "4" than

a "3', are any of you in agreement, from the little that I have read as an E.E.,that Monolithic Slabs should not be used where the ground freezes,

and wouldn't you also agree that 6x6x10 WWM is "garbage" compared to # 3 Rebar ?

As to the conditions of the soil here, whenever any excavation is done, all you come across is one boulder after another. That is, the soils present are

course granular soils and gravel that contain a considerable amount of oversized cobblers and boulders. Hence, the ground here is suitable for slab on grade

construction, and many builders in large developments here - use slab on grade foundations because they are a lot less expensive, but I haven't seen

any use monolithic slabs. In sum, what your opinion of using a monolithic slab, even with insulation on the perimeter, when the ground freezes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back