Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a Tank QA/QC Manual Required in order to build an API 650 Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeevesme

Petroleum
Aug 7, 2011
US
It seems like a simple straight foreword answer, but I have not found anywhere in API 650 where it states that the fabricator must have a QA/QC Manual for Tanks in order to design and build an API 650 Tank.

We are having an issue with a fabrication company that shop-built and certified an API 650 Tank for us. I asked to see their QA/QC Manual for Tanks and they sent a manual For ASME Pressure Vessels. Is this generally acceptable practice? I've been in the Inspection Industry for 16 years now and I don't recall a Tank shop using a Pressure Vessel QA/QC Manual for API 650 Storage Tanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A bit hidden, but section 1.3.1. states

"The Manufacturer is responsible for complying with all provisions of this standard. Inspection by the Purchaser’s inspector does not negate the Manufacturer’s obligation to provide quality control and inspection necessary to ensure such compliance. The Manufacturer shall also communicate specified requirements to relevant subcontractors or suppliers working at the request of the Manufacturer."

Now it's difficult to demonstrate you have provided QC and inspection without a manual.

Also, if you required ANNEX Y in your scope / specification (API monogram) Annex Y requires that

"The use of the Monogram on products constitutes a representation and warranty by the Licensee to purchasers of the products that, on the date indicated, the products were produced in accordance with a verified quality management system and in accordance with an API product specification.

So if they've stamped it "API", ask for the API verified QMS.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

A little bit confused by your post but it may just be terminology from different parts of the world.
Cannot understand what a QA/QC manual is ?
In my part of the world we have a QMS (Quality Management System) or a QMP (Quality Management Plan).
Both detail how the owner of the document is going to ensure that a quality product is provided.
These need to be approved by the client prior to commencement of the project.
Then on completion you have the MDR (Manufacturers Data Record/Report) or MRB (Manufacturers Record Book) which should contain every bit of relevant information pertaining to the finished product.
Regards,
Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back