Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a Variable Speed Pressure Limiting Control really needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRMechEng

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2009
US
Hi, I need a little help with this issue. I have a 1,000 gpm, 200 psi rated centrifugal pump serving a combined standpipe system. A system riser is also connected to the system but contains no hose cabinets so a pressure relief valve was specified for the branches coming out of this riser to keep the sprinklers' pressure regulated. Can that issue be solved this way or do I need a VSPLC on the pump to control pressure at the discharge?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it a tall building? Are you using the FP to meet pressure requirements on the standpipe? Are the systems designed as high pressure?

I have no love pressure relief or reducing valves. They seem to need a lot of maintenance to remain working years down the road. I assume you mean you are using pressure reducing valves on the branches with relief valves?

You could end up dumping a lot of water if you used relief valves and end up operating your pump much further out the curve that you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back