Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is anybody using the Professional version of Draftsight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmath

Industrial
Dec 13, 2013
US
I have been using Draftsight for about 6 months and have had
the same problems as other people on this forum.

Some of the shortcut menus don't work.
Some of the command aliases don't work like they did in Autocad.

I was just wondering if the professional version works better.
Also, can you use autolisp with the professional version?

Is the Professional version worth the money?

Thanks
Rick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm semi-retired and use Draftsight irregularly.
I've never 'met' anyone who uses the paid version, which I suspect is not at all different, except that you can phone for help.

I haven't tried using AutoLisp with Draftsight.

I haven't tried using AutoLisp with recent AutoCADs, either. I thought that Autodesk sort of dropped support for Lisp when they added interfaces for C and VB. They certainly stopped talking about it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Why buy the cow when the milk is free? I've been wondering the same thing myself and the amount of affirmative responses this thread is getting answers the question I think. It may be worth contacting Dassault Systems and inquiring about a 1 month trial of the paid version. The sales guy could probably answer your LISP question as well. Any idea how much one seat costs?

I just opened a promotional email from Dassault.
It suggests that the Pro version of Draftsight for Windows has some unspecified enhancements over the free version.
( It is not clear if a 'Pro' version exists for Linux or Mac. )

The asking price for a single seat is $299,
including one year of maintenance updates,
after which maintenance is $99 per year.

Phone/email/"community" technical support
is extra at $315/year.

The order form includes a box for coupon codes, so you may be able to do better on the price.
The containing message offers 25 pct off the price if you buy by May 9th, on a 30 day free trial.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The main reason I would be interested in buying is to have more of the existing features/commands that work.
My biggest problem is not being able to use osnaps like in autocad. Supposedly, there is a way to do that in
Draftsight but I haven't been able to get it to work. Other people have had the same difficulty.

Dassault Systems is a big enough company I would think they would be able to get rid of the bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back