Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is anyone having problems with service pack 3.0? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdDanzer

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2002
US
I installed service pack 3 and have been having more crashing problems than with 2.1. These files are mostly 2 to 6 years old. In fact I couldn’t view or open a couple of file without closing out and restarting SolidWorks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nope SP3.0 runs great IMO.

1) Have you cleaned your TEMP out? - faq559-884
2) Did you have your AV on when you installed the SP? -faq559-908

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

No problems here. I have opened drawings created in SolidWorks 2001 plus, they opened fine. I am having fewer crashes with SP 3 than ever before.

Bradley

I have less crashes also. We do have users here that still crash, but they all have video cards that should be upgraded. They have 3Dlabs, I use NVIDIA.

I have been having MULTIPLE issues with SP3.0
1. When using the toolbox components have to be used completely IN SEQUENCE, or and error is given that the part is already open.
For example: If I insert 4 socket head cap screws, then a washer, and come back to socket heads, it will give me the error "A document named "Socket Head Cap Screw_Al" is already opened. Do you want to show this already-opened document?" This is very annoying, as you loose the drag and drop mating preview (and the part insert preview altogether).
2. Model light sources seem to change with every save.
For example. I have an assembly with standard overhead lighting. Next time its opened the lighting is from the direct right. Next time the left. Next time the front... and it appears COMPLETELY random.
3. EXTREMELY SLOW and choppy Physical Dynamics movement of an assembly, even very simple ones. It also overly sensitive now with collisions in this view. So long as a part isn't impedeing the motion of the assembly WHO CARES if that non-motion related part started in a colliding position (such as a random bolt). Funny thing is, it will let you do the motion once (and choppy), but the moment you release the object grab, move the model, and try to do it again, it THEN tells you that the model started in a colliding position, even when its NOT!
4. Random components are turned transparent during Physical Dynamics. No idea why, they just do.

If anyone has any ideas if maybe my system settings got jacked, or can test to see if they are experiencing similiar problems it would be greatly appreciated.

1) When using the toolbox components have to be used completely IN SEQUENCE, or and error is given that the part is already open.
For example: If I insert 4 socket head cap screws, then a washer, and come back to socket heads, it will give me the error "A document named "Socket Head Cap Screw_Al" is already opened. Do you want to show this already-opened document?" This is very annoying, as you loose the drag and drop mating preview (and the part insert preview altogether).

No problem here. I just dragged and dropped 4 SHCS into and assembly with a part (with holes) and that did fine. I dragged and dropped a washer in there. Went back to the SHCS and no problem.

Are you working over a network install of Toolbox?

2. Model light sources seem to change with every save.
For example. I have an assembly with standard overhead lighting. Next time its opened the lighting is from the direct right. Next time the left. Next time the front... and it appears COMPLETELY random.

I have not seen this issue - I would do a repair on the installation to see if that helps. FAQ559-908

3. EXTREMELY SLOW and choppy Physical Dynamics movement of an assembly, even very simple ones. It also overly sensitive now with collisions in this view. So long as a part isn't impedeing the motion of the assembly WHO CARES if that non-motion related part started in a colliding position (such as a random bolt). Funny thing is, it will let you do the motion once (and choppy), but the moment you release the object grab, move the model, and try to do it again, it THEN tells you that the model started in a colliding position, even when its NOT

That sounds like a possible video card driver. Have you tried reinstalling your Driver? You didn't have a AV on when you installed or when you installed the SP?

4. Random components are turned transparent during Physical Dynamics. No idea why, they just do.

Check Tools\Options\System Options\Display Selection - Change your Assembly transparency for in-contect edit to "Opaque assembly".

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

If everything that Scott listed doesn't work, try reinstalling SolidWorks with anti-virus turned off (nothing running in the background).

EdDanzer
Don't mean to rub your nose in it ... but ... this is what happens when you don't keep all your files updated to the latest version!!

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

Scott,

By finicky (fussy) I'm refering to how they act. You can have a part that was modeled in SW2004 sp2.1 and open it in sp3.0 and have rebuild errors. I've found that some times all it takes is shortening a guide curve. One other thing I've noticed is one can not simply select a face as a profile and always get the loft to work. However if a sketch is made using the Convert entities command it will work.

I've talked with the local VAR about this issue. From what I've been told this is an issue that should be addressed in the next service pack.

Although I have not had time to do much testing I did clean out the temp files, and repaired the install, and it seems to be better. But I won’t be doing much until next week. I have to spend a few days building what I have designed.
Thanks, Scott

CorBlimeyLimey,
How long has your company been using SolidWorks and how many files do you have?
The cost of updating the files with SolidWorks has been one of our largest expenses. When we did one update in 1997 several thousand files got corrupted buy a bug. By December of 1999 we had over 20,000 files and about 20% had problems. We spent over $6,000.00 on file maintenance in 1999 and still had an estimated $6,000.00+ to repair the 20% with problems. We are a small business and don’t have the resources to spend $500.00 to $1,000.00 per month on file maintenance. I doubt any company would welcome an expense like this if they knew before purchasing the product. One thing that is a real time burner is repairing corrupt drawing files. These file must be opened and reviewed, just opening and saving them will not fix errors. I spent over 5 hours fixing one page this year alone that was created in 1999, opened and saved in 2000.

We converted thousands of files via DXF to SolidWorks 2003, then 2004. We have not yet had a corrupted file. Curious...EdDanzer what program did you convert from? Was it from an old version of SW? How were they corrupted, not opening, geometry messed up? I am not clear. Thanks

Ed - I could'nt agree with more. Updating a large amount of data is definitely a problem for any company. I wonder if SolidWorks is aware of this and could they produce a program to solve the amount of time spent by companies on this type of activitie?

Just my two cents worth..........

Vince

All the files were created in SolidWorks. We started using SolidWorks in 1996. Many are copies so if one is a problem, several will have the same problem. One rev. of 97 corrupted an assembly and SolidWorks had to manually repair a few hundred files, and we discarded several hundred more. This mess cost us several thousand dollars in lost time.

EdDanzer
The company has been using SW since 98. I have been involved with it since 2000. We also are a small company ... just little ol' me using SW. We have less than 6,000 active files and less than 4,000 archived. When I took over from the previous SW user we upgraded to SW2000 & the first thing I did was convert all the active files (approx 2000 at that time). Of those I had about a dozen or so files listed in the "Failed" log. Before trying to fix those, I checked the backup copies using SW98 & of the "Failures" all of them were bad files before being converted. After fixing those files in SW98 I converted them to SW2000 without problems. Since then whenever the company upgrades SW, or even if I load a Service Pack, I run the Conversion Wizard on the active & archive files and have never had a problem. I have not loaded SP3 yet, (just finished 2.1 conversion today) so probably should have kept my opion to myself till I have ... I may have to eat my words. (Wouldn't be the first time, probably won't be the last).
For a full version upgrade I usually run the conversion overnight to save my time, but for a SP I often run it during the day as I have found it to be very quick. Maybe I have been very lucky, but I have asked a few of my contacts at other companies using SW & they in general have had little if any problems also. The contact who had the most problem was the one who did the least frequent coversion!!!!!
The 20% failure rate you mention sounds extremely high & if I were you I would be upset too, but I would also be looking for other possible sources for such a high rate.
Good luck.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

My company has been working with sw since 97. We don't convert our old 97 files to 2004 because we rarely use them again. But I just tried to open a few assembly's of machines we've build a few years ago and all open/convert without any problems...

EdDanzer: If you have any of the corrupted old files around, try using the Conversion Wizard (in your latest SW version) per CorBlimeyLimey. If you haven't yet. Take an assy and its parts and move to a separate folder together on your hard drive when converting. Just a thought. Sounds like to me something else corrupted the files other than SW.

One reason we may have a higher level of problems is volume of files handled. I ran a search for SolidWorks files modified from 1/1/04 to 5/7/04. For one customer it was 142 SolidWorks files, for our products it was 1834 SolidWorks files, and 39 DXF files for flame cutting. That is an average of 400 files per month, and I only use SolidWorks 20 to 30 hours per week. I have to do customer service, sales, material ordering and some manufacturing the other 20 to 30 hours per week. Most weeks I work about 60 hours so my sense of humor about file problems is low.
I will try to run the update wizard on portions of the files starting this weekend.
When I did my search I noticed that many of the files do not have the new file extension, no icon in front of the file name, just a windows flag.

We have had a few parts, very important ones though, made in SW2001 SP 6 and they don't rebuild in any other version. So Ed's problem is definitely not unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back