Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS ANYONE INTERESTED IN CRYO PUMP INDUSTRY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryopumps

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2004
US
I would like to know if there is anyone out there with experience in high pressure cryogenic pumps (LNP,LPG etc.) I work in this field and am looking for people to discuss technical issues.
Thanks

Cryopumps

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of the technology of high pressure cryogenic pumps is to be found in the aerospace industry where liquid-fueled rocket engine and space shuttle are running at very high speeds for pumping liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen, etc. I have no direct experience in this field but followed it for a number of years because of the advanced state of pump development associated with these NASA-funded activities. Unfortunately, the relatively short operating life requirements for such pumps does not translate well to long-lived reliabity requirements of conventional centrifugal pumps. A good introduction to liquid rocket engine centrifugal and axial turbopump technology can be found in 1970's NASA publications on Space Vehicle Design Criteria (Chemical Propulsion). NASA SP-1809, Dec. 1973 covers centrifugal pump state of the art and design criteria. NASA SP-8125, Apr. 1978 does the same for axial flow pumps. These documents used to be obtainable from the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) but it may be difficult to get them now. The authors were from Rocketdyne Div. of Rockwell International Corp. and Aerojet Liquid Rocket Co. and that may be the best search route for finding them. I've never seen any better practical design guides for pumps for a specific application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back