Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is AutoCAD 3D useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daylight211

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2006
US
I'm researching the idea of upgrading AutoCAD 2004 with LDD to 3d software. Can someone weigh in on the usefuleness of AutoCAD 3d in land development and site design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I personally do not like ACAD 3D, but Autodesk Rivet works well for building design. For land development, maybe Autodesk Civil 3D??

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

If you know how to use it and use it for what it is good for, then yes, it is worth it. Ask if for more or be under educated and not, it is not worth it. My opinion only.

I use AutoCAD 2004 myself and I have found that the program has substantial 3-D capabilities, in both solid modeling and surface modeling- the trick is knowing how to utilize it. I had been using the program for years just in the 2 dimensional aspect, I was not aware of its 3-D capacity. How I discovered the 3-D abilities of AutoCAD 2004 was through a book published by Autodesk Press "AutoCAD 2004,3-D Modeling-A Visual Aproach". I found this to be an excellent book, it was very informative and gave clear instructions on 3-D techniques.
This book was a very good guide and I would highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back