Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Catia the same for different industries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flytire

Structural
Feb 21, 2003
US
I am currently employed in the submarine industry in Southeastern Connecticut as a Structural Designer.

We use all of the basic functions (Surf 1 & 2, Points, Lines, Curve 1 & 2, SolidM & E etc, etc, etc) as well as some specialty functions especially written for our company.

My question is: Do other industries use the same functions and are specialty functions written for your company as well???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, unless you are designing printed circut boards, or something like that. In the automotive industry we use all of those functions,but we might have diffrent techniques for using surf2 function etc. I'm sure you would have the basic skills for modeling in most industry, every industry has it's own specific needs.

flytire,

yes and no

I have previously worked with your submarine "partner" in Virginia. All the functions you mentioned are part of the MEC version of V4 CATIA, which is what most of the CATIA companies use.

There is also a AEC version of V4 CATIA, which is kind of a carryover from CADAM's plant design package. The AEC version includes some special modules for ship building (hull & ship structures), but it also shares steel structures, piping, HVAC, wiring, and diagramming with the architectural community. The number of companies using AEC CATIA is much smaller than MEC.

Your "partner" has implemented their V4 CATIA system in a way that they are able to use both MEC and AEC together. In my opinion, MEC is a subsystem of AEC.

With V5 CATIA, it's another story...

Jack

re: aec structural in V5...useless for anything beyond simple ortho structures.
Now V4 aec--with the exception of no curved elements and a few bugs one could work around--was quite impressive. Not a detailer however.

V4 at work:

(Disney Concert Hall structure was modeled in wireframe and only unofficially partially hung by the architect (Gehry); the major structural modeling was done by the engineering contractor.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back