Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is EKILL during simulation possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imse

Industrial
Feb 2, 2006
US
hi,

I am trying KILL the nodes that come up with very high temperature, as they stop the program from running to its completion.. or even modify the temperature to melting point temperature

What I am trying to do is simulate submerged arc welding (the object is complete insulated). When I apply a heat flux, no matter how small it is, it comes up with nodes that have 10e6 or more temperature, which stops the analysis. The only way it work now is when i assign ONE node to a particular temperature.

i would appreciate any help that anyone could provide.

Thank you

Robin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello

if I have correctly understand, you want to kill nodes DURING THE SOLUTION - that means, during the solve command. If that is the case, that´s not possible. You have to decide which ELEMENTS (not nodes) you want to kill before you solve.

Regards
Fernando

Lets assume your node number is 12345:

Code:
nsel,s,node,,12345
esln,s
elis

The "elist" command will list the elements attached to the node 12345.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Hello,
may be, you could try running the transient thermal analysis on suffieciently fine time intervals in a *DO loop:

the first time step solution -> checking temperatures in POST1 and EKILL the melted elems -> thermal restart, the second time step sol. ->....

Be sure that you do not kill the heat source too (probably must be moved to "living" parts).

Regards,
H-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back