Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Inspection opening mandatory for air tank designed as per ASME SEC VIII ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekjoy

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2015
IN
can anyone tell that is Inspection opening mandatory for air storage tank designed as per ASME SEC VIII ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

can i term air as non-corrosive service and not provide inspection openings ?

sekar....

Now, pure air that these tanks collect, is, pretty much non-corrosive...... however,

the condensate that collects in the bottom of every single air receiver,....... Well, that is very corrosive !

Based on research I have conducted at Lowes and Home Depot, I believe that, below a certain volume, inspection openings may be deleted

Sekar, what kind of tank volumes, pressures and diameters interest you ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Look at UG-46 of the ASME Section VIII, Division 1 Code. If the User specifies "non-corrosive service" the vessel will probably not need an inspection opening. UG-46 covers all the requirements for inspections openings.

Hi MJCronin,

Thanks for the response..

To drain out the condensate we can provide a drain valve at bottom centre.. but how could that affect provision for inspection opening ? as i understand inspection opening is to inspect the tank before installation and after fabrication.

and if user has not specified about corrosiveness of service medium and can manufacturer interpret service medium (instrument air, dew point temp. minus 40 Deg.C) as non-corrosive ?

details of the tank,
Volumes range from 20 Ltr to 1000 Ltr
Pressure : Max. 10 barg (instrument air)
Inside Diameter range from 220 mm to 1000 mm

Regards,
Sekar.

Hi bpv66,

Thanks for the response..

Though user didn't explicitly specify the service as "non-corrosive", since the service medium being instrument air can we interpret that as "non-corrosive" ?

Regards,
Sekar.

sekarjoy, you really need to read UG-46 carefuly. You will find that compressed air must be dried to a dewpoint of at least -46C to be exempted from UG-46 requirements.

You are probably talking about a couple of 3/4 NPT connections, which can maybe have other uses, to comply. Why not just do it?

Regards,

Mike

You are going to at least need to get access to affected corrosive areas using atleast a borescope for inspection. Surely you can insert a borescope through the air inlet and outlet nozzles?

2 - 1.1/2 inspection openings are needed, it may be a National Board recommendation adopted by most Jurisdictions.

Sekar
Some clients are not directly specifying about corrosive service. In turn they are insisting to have some corrosion allowance during thickness calculation. Such equipment's have to be provided with inspection openings as per UG-46.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back