Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Iron Man suit possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junfanbl

Marine/Ocean
Jun 10, 2015
US
I know what you are thinking; this question sounds absolutely riduclous right? Well maybe it is; but I thought the best place to enquire about possible techical concepts would be a forum for engineers.
Think about the things engineers have designed and discovered thus far. Material sciences has come a long way.
If this HAD to be done, could it be?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The short answer is no.

Even for just the amplified mechanical motion of the joints required Tony Stark's power source, which doesn't and won't exist in this universe. The HULC suit might one day get a decent battery, but that's not happening anytime soon.

All that's missing from HULC is a Mr. Fusion. The supposed solar power approach is bogus.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

Well that is somewhat disappointing. It makes sense that the biggest issue would be the power source. I think currently nuclear power is the most efficient power source; but sticking a miniaturized nuclear reactor next to your body seems like a bad idea...not that miniaturizing one is possible.

What's funny is when you referred to HULC suit I thought you were referring to Iron Mans Hulk suit.

I am just curious though, what type of alloy do you think would have to be used that would be light enough to get off the ground but still take a beating? I am not sure if any current air craft alloy could do the job, but I am only guessing.

junfanbl,

Go to Machine Design's website and read up on exoskeletons. There has been some development of those, to increase human load capacity, and to help people with spinal injuries.

Read up on Troy Hurtubise and his bear proof armor. This did not fly. Maybe he did not annoy a big enough bear!

When you want to armor something that flies, you need to make compromises. The reasoning behind the A10 was that half the aircraft shot down in Vietnam were victims of small arms fire. Comic strip writers are not limited this way.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back