Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to bypass locking software in UPS systems? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkmunsie

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2006
US
I purchased a Powerware UPS system for my company that I intended to service when the warranty expired. Unfortunately, I learned that there is a software lock on my system. I'm frustrated because when I called Powerware, they refused to provide or sell me the software and their prices for service are ridiculous.

Is there a way that I can bypass this software and service my UPS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the value of this UPS? Are these software and key stuff well documented when someone wants to buy a product, or do you discover this wonderful feature after you receive the unit? There may be public security involved with this product. A lawyer would rub his hands with this story.

It looks like Eaton wants to follow the business model of Dell...or Apple.

The Powerware UPS system cost us around $45K three years ago and you would not believe what the service bills are running. The "software lock" effectively prevents us from conducting any diagnostic checks or repairing anything. I guess that you could compare this situation to the one in the automotive industry (Right to Repairs), where the manufacturers are using microprocessing chips to force people to patronize dealerships. I am so frustrated with Powerware that I don't even know what to do. Has anyone else encountered this?

Where are you located? Contact the regional sales manager or call up factory and ask for VP incharge of sales and service. See what they say.

Without giving legal advice, my understanding is that they're allowed to lock the system (safety you see...) and others are allowed to pick the lock (or try). DMCA suits against others making compatible garage door openers or reset tools for ink cartridge have reportedly failed.

I'd weigh the service bils against the smell of fried batteries in the morning. $5k per year might be perfectly reasonable for a $45k system depending on exactly what is and isn't included (especially liability and quick service).

Dan (macgyvers2000),

For your consideration: The ~57KB picture of a colourful automobile foot-well, however interesting an automobile foot-well might be [poke], adds about 15 seconds to the download time each time I see it (Dial-up, no other choice).

Talk about a LEDfoot :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's the questions that drive us"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the components of your big UPS system reach end- of- life, assuming responsibility for its continued function becomes more costly. I assume the supplier will eventually 'allow' you to take ownership of it; you would be foolish to do so at that time.

Better to demand its removal before it becomes _your_ pile of toxic waste.

Wal-Mart sells a single PC size UPS for less than $40. Chances are, you could buy a bunch of those, and pay someone to swap them out when they die, and still be better off than you are now.

... unless you _really_ need a single mains- sized UPS, in which case your other choice is staffing a department to clean big battery cells and take care of the Diesels.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

How about bribing the service tech for the software key and to copy the service manual?

No problem, V... not much I can do about the current posts (it seems each thread includes the full sigline, so even if it changes the old threads contain the old sig), but I'll shrink it down some more for this board

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Small.gif

macgyvers2000 Id go get those fancy lights seen to - its pulling a lot form your battery the dash board lights are diming as it sequences through - did you earth it properly and follow the installation instructions ?

Also you want to watch those fancy lights as your engine is showing as off you might just flatten your battery - is it a big un?

Rugged

You need a good UPS for those dash lights. lkmunsie, might sell you one cheap.

lkmunsie all of the major UPS manufactures have locked diagnostic and event data logging in thei systems i havent worked with any that dont. Other post about lawsuits are correct the third party service companies are building interfaces or hacking the manufactures software and systems and being sued by companies like MGE Liebert and Powerware.
To the best of my knowaged one of the main reasons the areas of the UPS systems are locked is so the manufacture has access to event logs of unit failures to prove that someone damaged the unit by improper service or operation.

We included a line in our contract for the UPS and generator installation we did a few years ago mandating that all system passwords shall be disclosed at the time of installation. We then verified this was the case during commissioning, before we settled the account. We have access to the full configuration of the UPS, although we don't have the entire cross reference of codes to parameters. A lesson learned: that will also be included in the next contract.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Not to hijack the thread, but... I shrunk the image considerably. It's 3 still images taken from a smooth color fade animation. Digital cameras being what they are, the exposure changed a bit from frame to frame depending upon the color that was lighting up the floor, so it looks like the dash is changing intensity (at an average of 40mA per footwell, I think they'll go a loooong way before draining the battery ;). I know have the ability to make true movies, so no more need for animated GIFs.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back