Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is it possible to comply with EN1090-1 and achieve CE marking if you're designing to IBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

borobam182

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2015
GB
Hello,

I have an issue which is confusing me and I'm hoping someone can help.

Is it possible to comply with EN1090-1 and achieve CE marking if you're designing to American structural codes - IBC and ASCE?

The site is in UK / Europe.

As far as I'm concerned, Eurocodes must be used for the site location.

You can get CE marking with IBC via the machinery directive route, but since the project is destined for the EU and EN 1090 is required, then the code must be Eurocode. The site location trumps all. And Eurocode requires conformance to EN 1090.

I was under the impression that IBC and AISC are not recognised by EN1090.

Do we agree with this? Or is there a way to achieve CE marking and EN1090 compliance when using IBC / ASCE?

Thank you in advance

Freddy.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Freddy, Im pretty sure the answer is no. You can check with the NoBo, because in the end, the real deal is the CPR/305/2011. However, since the site location is UK, Im not sure if the CPR is regulated there. THen there's the question if UK law mandate EN 1090 or not. So easiest is to contact your NoBo and ask them.

Thank you for the quick response XL83NL.

I agree that the NoBo should be providing a little more guidance on this. They have a large amount of experience with American codes and I think they just want to apply these to this contract, but I don't think that they can. I also agree with the CPR comment - that has been identified as a policy that we should be following.

To be honest, I don't think they know what they need to do, but all they know is American codes.

Thank you for your opinion - it matches mine which is something!

Freddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back