Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is it possible to determine the PHF from hourly counts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TranspoLove

Civil/Environmental
Jul 27, 2013
CA
Good day folks,

I received hourly counts for a permanent counter over the period of a year. The problem is that, the agency I'm doing the calculations for does not store the 15 minute records and they do not have the budget to send someone out there for a week or so to do some counts. So what I've done so far is just assume PHF = 0.88 (rural highway) as per the HCM 2010. The problem is that I think it should be higher; but I don't want to just throw numbers out of a magical basket.

So what I'm doing right now is doing analysis at PHF = 0.88, 0.90, 0.92, and 0.95 and see what happens. However, I'm not really sure that exercise is useful as I don't have any data to compare too or any data to validate.

I would be much more comfortable if I can estimate PHF from the hourly counts, especially since I have a every count over every hour for the whole year.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is just a shot in the dark, pun intended, but in electronics we have something called Shot Noise ( wherein the standard deviation of a large number of events, like the Poisson statistics:
TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back